ONE GIFT. ONE COMMUNITY. ONE BIG IMPACT.
“As an attorney who focuses exclusively on estate planning, Paul Holland often asks his clients if they have intentions to make a community impact through a gift or a bequest, and merely asking that question has proven quite telling.
“It’s half the battle,” Paul says. “If you’re asked, then you have to think about it, and a certain percentage of people who think about it are going to say yes.”
Paul and his wife, Cathleen Holland, who live in Stonington, asked themselves a similar question recently, and their decision to a community impact was reached without hesitation. The Hollands are making a significant pledge to L+M Hospital’s Capital Campaign, which is supporting the development of L+M’s Cancer Center in Waterford.
Furthermore, the Hollands believe that the new center’s affiliation with Dana-Farber Community Cancer Care in Boston will give the patients of southeastern Connecticut “the best of the best,” as Paul says, thanks to Dana-Farber’s world-renowned protocols, second opinion clinics, genetic counseling and extensive clinical trials.
“My family has been involved in charitable endeavors for a long time,” Paul says. “It’s something that was ingrained in my brothers and me growing up, watching my parents. Today, we’re getting to that age where it’s sort of our turn to step up and to do things to help our community move forward. That’s the generation we’re approaching. We’re no longer the kids.”
Paul Holland also has been very active in community organizations and charitable organizations in the local area. Past and current activities include:
- Capital Campaign Committee Member at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital
- Former Treasurer of the Stonington Land Trust
- Former Treasurer of the Stonington Free Library
- Former Vice President and Treasurer of Stonington Community Center (COMO)
- Former Board Member of the James Merrill House
- Former President of the Estate Tax Planning Council of Southeastern Connecticut
- Former member of the Stonington Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Member of Stonington Republican Town Committee
- Member of Stonington Uplands Association